Captain Marvel

Rant and rave about the latest in cinema.
KilljoyBob
Atlantean Werewolf on Mars

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Be warned! After this post, there be spoilers ahead!
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
KilljoyBob

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:27 pm

If you've seen Captain Marvel, I'm interested in your opinions on the movie, especially as it deviates from the comics.

First up, what's your opinion on the interpretation of the Skrulls? In the comics, they're almost always seen as invaders attacking Earth. The movie's take on them as oppressed refugees was probably the biggest surprise for me. I was really expecting them to build up the Skrulls as the next big threat to Earth, and possibly use them as a springboard to introducing the Fantastic Four. Although it is possible they could still do that; Kevin Feige has said that like humans, different groups of Skrulls have different motivations, so they may not all be as benevolent as Talos' group. It was an interesting way to play with the audience's preconceived notions.

Second, how did you feel about them completely changing Mar-Vell? I realize that making the character a woman tied into the theme of female empowerment, but I was more surprised because I don't remember Mar-Vell being a scientist. Without any connection to the comics, I suppose it works in the context of the movie.
K26dp
Totally Can't Even

Badges

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 pm

It wasn't a big part of his backstory, but originally Mar-Vell came to earth in the guise of scientist Walter Lawson to spy on earth, so it was rooted in the comics.

Neither change bothered me. In fact, I thought the Skrull twist was fantastic. It's stupid that comics so often treat entire races as of one mind. The Kree have been allowed complexity, it's good the Skrulls are as well. And as you say, they can still use different Skrulls as antagonists later.

I often feel like superhero movies, even the best of them, can be predictable to comic readers, so I welcome changes like this that upend expectations. The important thing is to get the core of the characterization correct, which the MCU usually does pretty well.
KilljoyBob

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:48 pm

Captain Marvel is one of those characters that I really didn't know much about any iteration of them. Most of it was second hand knowledge gleaned through osmosis. So this MCU movie is probably the one I went into with the least foreknowledge.

This weekend, I did pick up a new "Death of Captain Marvel" TPB that Marvel published recently. It includes Mar-Vell's origin story and a few of his other adventures. And I also picked up the first volumes of "The Life of Captain Marvel" and "Ms. Marvel." I'm looking to educate myself on them.
Ogre_Minstrel
Mr. Jackpots

Badges

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Captain Marvel: The Good the Bad and the Cat

Good:
The Cast. I liked all the characters, even the weird 'good skrulls'
Some really good quips and lines ("I have nothing to prove to you.")
De-aging Sam Jackson really worked.
Stan Lee - All the feels
Visuals: Brie Larson looked fantastic. Really good presentation of powers.
Annette Benning too.
Both of the Rambeaus, Mother and Daughter, rocked it.
Music cues, with the exception of No Dout, which I like, but was a bit too on-the-nose
90s jokes - Didja see how long it took to load up that CD! HAW!

Bad:
Amnesia trope. sigh
De-aging Agent Coulson - Really didn't look half as good as Sam Jackson.
De-aging Ronan - Why even bother? He looked too different and there was no reason to do it. Who knows how long the accusers live anyway?
'Good' Skrulls and also 'Cute Skrulls'
90s jokes - Didja see how long it took to load up that CD! HAW!

The Cat
Who let this Mother Flerkin' Cat on this Mother Flerkin' Space Plane?
Serious, the Cat stole the whole movie!
Did I mention there's a seriously dangerous Cat as a major plot point in this movie??!?!
How awesome was the goddamn Cat? Right? I mean, it ate a goddamn TESSERACT!
Signatures. How quaint.