Going Digital

Books with and without drawings in them.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Let's say...let's say I wanted to get back into comics. But like, on the cheap and completely digital.

Is there a good mechanism in place for that these days, and are there good deals for digital to be had?
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:09 pm

There is! Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of https://www.comixology.com/. They have a HUGE selection of both single issues and trades. They have a Comixology Unlimited subscription that gets you a wide range of comics for a small monthly fee ($6). This is mostly early issues of various series, or the first trade or two. No DC titles are available through Comixology Unlimited (although you can still buy DC comics through the app), but Marvel recently added titles to the service. If you don't want to sign up for Comixology Unlimited, they always have a ton of sales going on that are usually pretty worth it. I STRONGLY encourage you to give Paper Girls a try.

If you're more interested in just Marvel stuff, Marvel also has their Marvel Unlimited service. That's $10 a month, but you get to read the entire Marvel catalog, with new stuff being released six months after it comes out in stores.

Personally I use Comixology, don't sign up for Unlimited, and I've been enjoying it very much.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Seems like a pretty good deal, even with no DC stuff on there. There were some Transformers series on the list (but no Lost Light, which I'm most interested in. Wah.)

Shame that the Unlimited service isn't just bundled into Amazon Prime, though.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Yeah, that would be amazing. Still, $6 a month is pretty reasonable as far as these things go.
Trebor
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Lost Light wasn't the actual name of the series, if you weren't aware of that. It was More Than Meets the Eye, I believer. That or Robots in Disguise. I could never keep the two straight for titles.

Also, Wheeljack is in the one that is not the Lost Light, so . . .
hey
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:06 pm

TF_LL_1_cvrA.jpg
TF_LL_1_cvrA.jpg (167.9 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Trebor
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Oh, they actually separated it into it's own title. Nifty. Where's Megatron though? Last I saw, he was in charge of the Light.
hey
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Trebor wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Oh, they actually separated it into it's own title. Nifty. Where's Megatron though? Last I saw, he was in charge of the Light.
Doesn't he get destroyed in every movie to only come back at the end and do nothing in the next movie?
Trebor
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:21 pm

True, but that's because Michael Bay.

IDW does have it's own digital service as well, which you should be able to find all the recent Transformers works on.
hey
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 pm

In the comics, Megatron has gone Autobot following the victory of Starscream.
Trebor
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:17 pm

And it's been AWESOME!
hey
Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:57 am

I haven't gone full-gonzo subscription on anything yet (though IDW's Ghostbusters has gotten repeated purchases from me), but I have been getting back into reading comics thanks to Comixology (and Marvel's big 700 #1s giveaway a few years back) and thanks to the occasional Humble Bundle or Groupees bundle featuring e-Comics. If you're downloading comics to your PC, I recommend Comic Rack for reading them; it can handle most formats, including CBR, CBZ, CB7 and PDF (with the GhostScript plugin), and you can get a ComicVine Scraper plugin to add info to your library.
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
TheRidge
Dreadnought Fry

Badges

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:48 am

I use Comixology. Though the only thing I've been reading of late is Justice League 3000 & 3001 as well as the Star Trek series they did where they took the Kelvin timeline and retold the original series storylines in slightly different ways.
;^^ The Token British Guy
Soylent Daveage
Sextant's Gambit

Badges

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:28 pm

For anyone who might be interested:

Humble currently have an IDE Transformers comic bundle, with much Transformery comicy goodness...

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/tran ... le_index_4
Until next time, this Has-Been's

Soylent Daveage

The food group of the FUTURE!

Proudly mis-managing the Melbourne Mudkips.
Gooooo MUDKIPS!