Most recent Movie: How was it?

Rant and rave about the latest in cinema.
Ogre_Minstrel
Licked the Moon

Badges

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 am

Ant Man and the Wasp was good fun. Everyone I was with came out saying how good it was, so chalk up another success for Marvel Cinema.
Signatures. How quaint.
HollowPoint
Dreadnought Fry

Badges

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:54 am

Okay, maybe being a Dad has changed my view on movies, but I thoroughly enjoyed Hotel Transylvania 3 with the family tonight. It had some extremely funny parts to make even adults laugh. I honestly think it's the first of the three that I'd be willing to sit down and watch it again.
Just Do It....Tomorrow
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:53 am

I liked Ant-Man And The Wasp. It was a really good breather episode. I like that the Ant-Man series in general has decided to fill the gap of just fun movies that happen to be about a superhero or two.

Also, I saw Sorry To Bother You just now, and...holy fuck I have no idea what to think of that movie. I absolutely don't want to give a single thing away about it, but at some point in the movie it takes the hardest left turn I have ever seen in a story. It's truly insane, and I'm pretty sure I liked it and that it's good, but...just holy fuck.
KilljoyBob
Colonel Sanders Understudy

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:32 am

I took my daughter to see "Teen Titans Go! To The Movies." It was pretty much an extended episode of the cartoon, but managed to poke fun at the whole superhero movie genre, especially DC's own movies. (There's a scene where they're filming Batman v Superman 2, and they start fighting because their dads don't have the same names.) If you enjoy that kind of humor, you'll probably like it.

And Nicholas Cage finally gets to play Superman.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 am

I also watched some DC animated stuff this weekend: Batman & Harley Quinn. And it is a profoundly weird experience. Harley coerces Nightwing into sex 15 minutes into the movie (after drugging him and tying him to her bed), then in the middle there's two back-to-back musical numbers including Harley singing The Nerves' "Hanging on the Telephone" and the ending basically implies that our "heroes" stop a global catastrophe by burning down a swamp. All this in the classic Bruce Timm style. And I know this makes it sound action-packed, but it was actually a pretty slow movie that took a lot of unnecessary detours in its 1-hour running time.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
Ogre_Minstrel
Licked the Moon

Badges

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Ryokuro wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 am
The Nerves' "Hanging on the Telephone"
*sigh*

Signatures. How quaint.
Trebor
Lovable Scamp

Badges

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:42 pm

Finally got to a theater today. Went and saw both Incredibles 2 and Antman and the Wasp.
Incredibles was just as fantastic as the original with a villain that almost tricked me.
Antman was about as fun as the first with the kid being a surprising strength in the film.
hey
Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:00 am

I also also watched some DC Animated stuff. Specifically, Justice League vs. Teen Titans, since Microsoft was offering it for free rental briefly. It's... something. Damian acts like a putz, gets assigned to the Titans, Trigon possesses the League, etc. It's a little incoherent in places, and to some degree feels like it's a setup movie rather than its own thing. And the animation quality is OK. But I think my biggest criticism is its tonal inconsistency. It deals with some adult themes (Raven's conception is not glossed over), but also seems to be aiming towards the young teen crowd with a Dance-Dance Revolution sequence and Sailor Moon style transformation sequences. It's a weird mesh.
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:14 am

It seems like the DC Animated movies need better editors.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:23 am

I just watched the Ryan Reynolds movie The Voices and I think I loved it. It's directed by the same woman who directed the Persepolis movie, and it's one of those movies where the less you know going into it the better. Absolutely do not watch the trailer because it's almost nothing but spoilers.
KilljoyBob

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:42 pm

I've seen that one too, and I agree that it is great. Some of the best black comedy.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 pm

The actual design of the movie is perfect. Set, props, wardrobe, the actual colors of it..this movie just LOOKS amazing and perfect. I was really impressed by it.
KilljoyBob

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Going back to the DC animated movies, I just watched their newest one, The Death of Superman. Even though it's done in the New 52 style, it's actually pretty accurate to the comics (except it's the classic JLA instead of the B-listers from the series). But damn, it was violent. Doomsday is definitely shown to be a credible threat, racking up a disturbing body count before the League intervenes.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 pm

I remember that the JLI got rocked by Doomsday in the comics before Superman showed up, but I don't remember the reason that the other heavy-hitters weren't around other than that the editors really wanted to kill Superman.

So is the movie worth watching? And do they end it with his death, or do they go into the Steel/Superboy/Cyborg/Eradicator storyline?
KilljoyBob

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 pm

I'd say it's worth watching. It's better than Superman: Doomsday and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

They're planning a follow up based on the Reign of the Supermen next year.