Most recent Movie: How was it?

Rant and rave about the latest in cinema.
KilljoyBob
Colonel Sanders Understudy

Sat May 26, 2018 3:16 am

Revil: what really pisses me off about that picture is the immediate assumption that any female that joins a gamer/geek group is not there as a fan, but merely to attract the attention of guys. It's that same Men's Rights bullshit.

This past weekend, I taught my 10-year-old daughter how to play HeroClix for the first time. It's been years since I've played, and I'm sure I wasn't using the most recent rules, and I was going easy on her since it was her first game. And you know what? She beat me. And more importantly, she had fun.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Sat May 26, 2018 6:54 am

It not only assumes any female that joins the group is just looking for the attention of guys, but it further assumes that women inherently want the attention of guys who think like this. It's just insane all around.
Trebor
Lovable Scamp

Badges

Sun May 27, 2018 2:28 pm

I found the worst part being the assumption that no women could have been a part of the initial undertaking and creation. The assumed default was already male before the "game" had even started.
hey
HollowPoint
Dreadnought Fry

Badges

Sun May 27, 2018 8:49 pm

Holy Hell, I'm fairly middle ground on most topics, but that even infuriates me.
Just Do It....Tomorrow
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue May 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Revil Fox wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:54 am
It not only assumes any female that joins the group is just looking for the attention of guys, but it further assumes that women inherently want the attention of guys who think like this. It's just insane all around.
"All these women keep trying to fuck me when all I want to do is play my board game" is a sentence that has never been uttered before in the history of humankind.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 am

I've never quite understood what kind of hypothetical woman would want the attention of a nerd, to the exclusion of non-nerds, without being one herself...
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Not to change the subject, but changing the subject entirely...

I saw Upgrade this week, and I loved it! What could have been a fairly generic sci-fi action movie was elevated to a really good sci-fi action thriller by doing some very interesting things with the cinematography and story beats. It's not a great movie, but it's really fun. I'd recommend it.
KilljoyBob

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:02 am

I finally saw Deadpool 2 today. It may actually be better than the first one. There was one scene
Spoiler!
the one where he's growing back his baby legs
I was literally laughing so hard that I was crying.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:58 am

I went and saw Hereditary today, and it was REALLY good. If you like horror movies, make a point to go see this in the theater.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Finally saw Solo and it was a surprisingly solid entry that reestablishes Han as the shoot-first, cocky sumbitch he was before Lucas’s mad tinkering and tosses in all sorts of SW fan service. Good performances by all involved, too.

The idea that this movie of all things has become a lightning rod of discontent is a sign to me that the Star Wars fandom might be irreparably broken.
Trebor
Lovable Scamp

Badges

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am

Wait, you thought the SW fandom could be fixed at some point?
hey
Ryokuro
Emperor

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Ryokuro shrugs resignedly.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:29 am

I took my son to his first ever movie in a movie theater this weekend, and we both ended up loving The Incredibles 2. I can't say for sure if I like it slightly more or slightly less than the previous film, but it's absolutely at the same level. I highly recommend it.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:59 am

I finally saw Pacific Rim 2. It just did not have the heart of the first one. It also seemed like they were going very “Bayformers” in both the battles and with the dialogue.
KilljoyBob

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:18 am

Watched Ant-Man and the Wasp today. It is definitely a much needed lighter movie after Infinity War.