Most recent Movie: How was it?

Rant and rave about the latest in cinema.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:55 am

Yeah, I think most of the "bad reviews" I've seen have actually been more about how the book is actually kind of awful in retrospect. But I've heard the movie does away with a lot of the book's more awkward bits and is better for it.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
KilljoyBob
Colonel Sanders Understudy

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:40 pm

One person I used to do a movie review podcast with said that the visuals were good, but the characters felt empty

And yeah, the book is just okay, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It's like kid's idea of what nostalgia and fandom are. I thought the main character was weak while reading it. He was only a fan of all the 80s pop culture because it was what the OASIS creator was in to, he wasn't a fan in his own right. And then the sheer number of things he claims to have perfect knowledge of is ridiculous; no one can know everything about that much, even through pop culture osmosis. Also, it seems odd that it's set in the future, but their culture stagnated in the 80s and 90s; it's almost like because everyone spent all their time in virtual reality, recreating old movies, they were unable to create their own works of art. I realize that it's a device the author uses so the reader recognizes the references, but it would be like if the most discussed movies of today were Casablanca and The Wizard of Oz.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
KilljoyBob

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Ok, so I got a chance to see Ready Player One for myself yesterday, and I did enjoy it a lot more than the book. One advantage the movie has over the book is that it can simply pepper the references across the screen, while in the book they have to be brought up in exposition. Also, the changes made to the challenges better reflect the mind of Halliday
Spoiler!
and the regrets he had from his life.
I do wish Simon Pegg had more to do in it though, his character plays more of a mentor role in the book.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 am

I just got back from Deadpool 2, and...I loved it. It was even more Deadpooly than the first one. I'm so happy.
Ogre_Minstrel
Licked the Moon

Badges

Mon May 21, 2018 2:23 am

You folks here on this board are my Fword. C'mon, Group groin hug!

Also, You're welcome Canada!

Great flick. Maybe not quite as good as the first DP, but still a ton of fun.
Signatures. How quaint.
TwinkyMaster
Imaginary Squirrel

Badges

Tue May 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Deadpool 2 was so much fun. I think the first one may have been funnier but the action in the second one was great. Domino, Cable, even Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Colossus were awesome. I can't wait for an X-Force movie now.
Soylent Daveage
That Goat is Weird

Badges

Thu May 24, 2018 3:11 pm

I caught a midnight session of Solo at IMAX, thanks to my sister who is a member of the 501st (movie accurate Star Wars cosplayers).
Now admittedly I am a bit of a Star Wars fanboy, so I may have been a bit biased, but I thoroughly enjoyed Solo. The plot kept it all moving at a fairly brisk clip, the cast was fantastic (Woody Harrelson continues to be better than you would expect if you grew up watching him in Cheers), the action was well done. All in all I would rank it up with the best Star Wars movies.
Until next time, this Has-Been's

Soylent Daveage

The food group of the FUTURE!

Proudly mis-managing the Melbourne Mudkips.
Gooooo MUDKIPS!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu May 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Awesome!

The reviews of Solo have turned into something of a battleground across the internet, so it's nice to hear that it was a good time.
Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 pm

The reviews of Solo have turned into something of a battleground across the internet
And that's just among the people who haven't seen it yet! :P
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
KilljoyBob

Thu May 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Ryokuro wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:17 pm
The reviews of Solo have turned into something of a battleground across the internet
So, just another day on the World Wide Web, then?
Ryokuro
Emperor

Fri May 25, 2018 3:17 am

Yeah, pretty much.

Do you guys think geek culture on the internet has actually gotten worse over the last decade? The Halls (and the 4F before it) was essentially a reaction to the over-serious and often heated drama over Heroclix of all fucking things, so it's sad to think things have backslid even farther.
KilljoyBob

Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm

To me, the worst part is the kneejerk backlash against supposed "SJW" in geek media. The studios and publishers are actually trying to include more accurate representation of women, minorities, and LGBTQ people, and all the Straight White Males flip their shit. Who knew the geek community was so conservative? Especially since geek media has always espoused liberal ideals (or at least it has since the 60s).

I think part of it is because for so long, geeky pursuits were not mainstream. They were the refuge of the uncool and the ostracized, mostly the uncool white males. I think most of us here remember that. But now, probably mostly due to the popularity of the MCU, but also because of things like Game of Thrones and Stranger Things (and it may have even started back with the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies), geeky things are cool. People everywhere can openly admit to liking superheroes and fantasy and sci-fi. And that should have created a new culture of geeky acceptance. But some of those guys who were ostracized instead feel like their refuge, their territory, is being encroached upon by the masses. So you get the "true fan" gatekeepers who keep trying to define what it means to be a true fan, in a way that only includes themselves and not all the new fans. You get the "you can't be a fan if you've only watched the movies" argument, or the "girls can't be real fans" argument. You get the complaints about Disney buying up everything. You get complaints about new directors taking over projects from older directors. Combine that resentment with the entitled Men's Rights advocates and those INCEL (involuntarily celebate) assholes, and the anonymity of the internet, and you have a recipe for a toxic environment that seeks to push away anyone that they consider an "other."

Man, I have to get back into a college classroom. My last couple posts have been frickin dissertations.
Last edited by KilljoyBob on Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 pm

I got into an argument with someone on Twitter recently who was insisting that that video games was a hobby that was naturally claimed by men. Then he posted the following picture as a real, serious argument.

Ryokuro
Emperor

Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Everything about that stupid picture infuriates me. "We never want to meet or engage with new people so we never will otherwise our hobby will die." Cool.

KJB: It has been pretty fucking surreal to watch fanboys scream "SJW!" at superheroes and Star Trek and Star Wars and the like, things that have always always always promoted social justice, diversity, and equality.
Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Sat May 26, 2018 2:06 am

I think what we're finding is that a lot of people who were ostracized and sought refuge in geeky pursuits were not, in fact, originally ostracized for being nerds. They were ostracized for being assholes, and it was just that nerds put up with them because they weren't as big of an asshole to the nerds.

And yes, I think it's gotten worse, lately. Or rather, it's gotten louder lately. I think the actual percentage is considerably smaller -- despite what the "anti-SJW" crowd thinks, these socially progressive media are succeeding hand over fist -- but the asshats are screaming all the louder to try and win a victory that doesn't exist.
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.