Behind the Scenes

The House That Creativity Built

Moderator: Emperor

Ryokuro
Emperor

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 am

Well...yeah...but...post counts!

Thankfully, one thing I don't have to delete anymore is stupid spambot accounts. Forcing them to answer the question "What color is the grass on the other side of the fence?" seems to be enough to baffle them completely.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
Soylent Daveage
That Goat is Weird

Badges

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:19 am

Well, it DID until you told us what the question was...

I mean...

Date Hot Russian Chicks!
Until next time, this Has-Been's

Soylent Daveage

The food group of the FUTURE!

Proudly mis-managing the Melbourne Mudkips.
Gooooo MUDKIPS!
TheRidge
Dreadnought Fry

Badges

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:48 am

Ryokuro wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 am
Thankfully, one thing I don't have to delete anymore is stupid spambot accounts. Forcing them to answer the question "What color is the grass on the other side of the fence?" seems to be enough to baffle them completely.
Is the fence high enough to block out sunlight at all? Is there a house on the other side of the fence or potentially an area where people might have been camping up until recently?
;^^ The Token British Guy
Ryokuro
Emperor

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 pm

So, I've added Badges...sort of.

You can now edit your profile and select one Badge to display under your avatar/info in your posts. Right now, I just have the Badges from the Old Halls available. Unfortunately, there's no way as of yet to assign Badges to individual members, so you can display any Badge you want even if you didn't technically "earn" it.

Hope to make these more functional in the future, and add more cool Badges!
Trebor
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 pm

I can't find it.
hey
Ryokuro
Emperor

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:45 am

Bah, permissions strike again...

NOW you should see it.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:43 am

Now that I'm finally using the actual front of the site like I meant to this entire time, I finally got around to fixing the "Latest Topics" links to the forums in the sidebar so they don't log you out anymore. I've also moved those links closer to the top of the page so they're easier to get to.

You'll also notice more threads popping up here and there tied to the stories I post. These are generated by a "Bridge" between WordPress and the forum, and allow comments/discussion to appear in both places relatively seamlessly.

Anyway, I hope you'll feel compelled to use the site a little more now that I'm putting content on it, and if you've got any ideas or anything you'd like to go up there, just let me know!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:39 am

Well, I'll be slowly rebuilding the fucking forums after a disastrous and horrifying software update. I won't go into the whole bloodbath, but I will say that I feel very fortunate that the database remains and is still functioning. Some functionality has been disabled (hopefully temporarily), and it looks like a few user avatars and smilies have been lost, but we're mostly intact. The good news is that phpBB DID update, so at least I don't have to do this again. (for awhile)

This reminds me of the old "squall" days of Creation Matrix. Damn near 15 years on and forum software still won't behave.
Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 am

Try running a store site on WordPress. I'm constantly torn between "we need to upgrade this plugin" and "if we upgrade this plugin, it'll probably break something."

Anyway, sorry for the strife. Hopefully you're able to get it back into shape without too much further trouble.
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
KilljoyBob
Crunchitized!

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 pm

I was concerned last night. Good to see we survived with only a few broken windows.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Unfortunately, the big hit we took was the attached images. They're all gone. The other thing is that the "bridge" I use between WordPress (the front page) and the forums no longer works, and the developer has no ETA on when he'll get it updated. TapaTalk is likewise disabled until there's an update. (Sorry, Gelf)

But other than that and some font issues which I'm working on now, we are pretty much back to normal.
Soylent Daveage
That Goat is Weird

Badges

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:22 am

The ah... new forums page is certainly interesting... It seems a bit odd that you can't access a sub-forum (such as, say Midori Fields) by simply clicking on the picture, rather you have to click on the teeny tiny little barely visible text in the top left of the picture.

Soylent Daveage

Gooooo MUDKIPS!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:17 am

Strange. I haven't had that experience at all. The images are all clickable for me. What browser are you using?
Soylent Daveage
That Goat is Weird

Badges

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Chrome on both my mobile and PC...

Soylent Daveage

Gooooo MUDKIPS!
KilljoyBob
Crunchitized!

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 pm

The attached images seem to be there. At least, the ones in the toy review thread.

Strangely, I can now see the badges on people's posts, where I couldn't before.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!