Behind the Scenes

The House That Creativity Built

Moderator: Emperor

Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Fri May 26, 2017 5:07 am

Sorry. Also, the "this is an excerpt" blog post links in the forum all seem to 404.
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 am

I recently had an idea that I thought was good enough to run out and buy a domain name and secure a Twitter account, but...I don't know what to do from here. I have no idea how to set up or run a website of any kind, nor do I have any idea what to even do with a domain name. I don't even know if the idea is any good. So I was hoping for some help from you fine folks.

It seems that most people these days like to read reviews of things that conform to their already formed beliefs. In addition, every review seem to be aimed at the extremes; either something is awesome or something is horrible with very little in between. The domain I just bought is www.movieofalltime.com (@movieofalltime on Twitter) and my idea is to write two reviews of every movie I see. One will praise the movie as the Greatest Movie Of All Time, while the other derides it for being the Worst Movie Of All Time. Part of the fun will be in trying to find a way to plausibly call something like Jupiter Ascending the Greatest Movie Of All Time, part of the fun will be trying to rip down legitimately good movies, and part of the fun will be in trying to figure out which one is closer to my actual opinions.

What does everyone think? Good idea? Insane idea? Insanely good idea? I'm trying to get a gauge for if this idea is actually worth pursuing, but if it is worth it I'll move to figuring out where to go from here.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue May 30, 2017 5:07 am

I THINK THIS IDEA IS THE BEST IDEA OF ALL TIME! FIVE STARS, EIGHT THUMBS UP, 10/10, WOULD RECOMMEND TO A FRIEND.

Seriously, though, I think it is a very good idea, although I might have started out with a blog hosted on WordPress.com before leaping into domain ownership. Though now that you have a domain, you can set it to link to a WordPress site and not have to worry about as much messy backstage shit as I have to. WP is just a little more complicated than posting here, and you can either find free themes or buy pretty good ones for $10-15 that give you a lot of style and customization options.

But yeah, in these insanely polarized times, insanely polarized reviews seems like just the thing! I look forward to your glowing review of The Room.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
Soylent Daveage
Sextant's Gambit

Badges

Wed May 31, 2017 6:32 am

I look forward to your damning criticisms of everything I love in movies...
Until next time, this Has-Been's

Soylent Daveage

The food group of the FUTURE!

Proudly mis-managing the Melbourne Mudkips.
Gooooo MUDKIPS!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Wed May 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Glitter, Crossroads, and Gigli?
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Wed May 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Hot Take: Gigli isn't actually that bad.
Ogre_Minstrel
Mr. Jackpots

Badges

Wed May 31, 2017 3:54 pm

It's an interesting idea, but i think you may find it ruins many movies you might otherwise enjoy. I used to review my comics pull list on the old board, but eventually had to give it up, because it made reading the comics a chore, rather than an entertainment. The process of watching/reading/listening to a thing with a critical eye can effect your ability to just enjoy a thing, and that's just for giving your honest opinion. At least that's how it was for me, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Signatures. How quaint.
Trebor
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Wed May 31, 2017 4:16 pm

Ogre_Minstrel wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 3:54 pm
It's an interesting idea, but i think you may find it ruins many movies you might otherwise enjoy. I used to review my comics pull list on the old board, but eventually had to give it up, because it made reading the comics a chore, rather than an entertainment. The process of watching/reading/listening to a thing with a critical eye can effect your ability to just enjoy a thing, and that's just for giving your honest opinion. At least that's how it was for me, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reviewing a product does make the intake of it very different. Turning on the critical eye mostly just pisses off my friends now, but early on it made enjoying some things more difficult.
Taking classes on the subjects does the same thing. I have never looked at a movie the same after taking screen-writing courses.
hey
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:02 pm

I've fallen behind on updating the frontpage/blog. I don't know how many of you actually look at it, but I have. Need to get back in the swing of things there.

I have found a pretty easy "fix" to the whole spambot thing, so we'll see if that works.

Also going to start a new round of advertising pretty soon. The first round was just text ads. This one will be a banner, and I will make it as amazeballs as possible.

As for the forums themselves, I think I still need to add a Bold that works, yes? I'd also like to bring back Badges somehow, but haven't found any good solutions for that.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:15 pm

But I need to start feeling validated immediately!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:35 pm

revilbadge.png
revilbadge.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Ahhhhhhhh, there's that sweet sweet feeling of being good enough...
KilljoyBob
Atlantean Werewolf on Mars

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Dammit, I'll never earn that one.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Well! I just discovered that if I delete a thread, our post counts all go down! That is...unfortunate. And a pretty big difference from the old forums. I really didn't want to keep a bunch of old Questions Games in the database if I didn't have to, but now...
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:08 pm

I say you keep deleting them anyway. What better meta use of the Questions Game than a mechanic where we have to question if we even exist at all?