Reviews You Can Use

The plastic manifestations of our our geekiest fantasies.

Moderator: Emperor

KilljoyBob
Lord Help Me I'm Back On My Bullshit

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Did you buy a new toy that you want to rave about? Maybe a sweet new updated toy that perfectly captures what you loved about the original from your childhood. Or do you want to warn your fellow collectors away from a plastic turd with ugly paint and terrible engineering?

Share your reviews here.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
KilljoyBob

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Transformers Generations Topspin
300px-TitansReturntoy-TopspinFreezeout.jpg
300px-TitansReturntoy-TopspinFreezeout.jpg (17.59 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Topspin is part of the most recent wave of Transformers, in the Titans Return subline, in which everyone is a Headmaster, so his head transforms into a tiny robot that can pilot his spaceship mode. For fans of the old Marvel Transformers comics, Topspin was an integral member of the Autobot black ops unit, The Wreckers, alongside his brother, TwinTwist.

Robot mode
Topspin is a really bulky toy, in contrast to most of the other Deluxe toys in the line. He's got big, chunky boots that mimic his G1 toy. There's great molded details like rocket thrusters on the bottom of his boots and wiring under the wings on his shoulders. He doesn't seem to have a lot of painted details; most of his paint seems to be the silver on his guns and dual nose cones. His joints are all nice and tight.

Vehicle mode
Real work went into updating the original toy's "flying brick" to actually look like a spaceship, including a real cockpit. The cockpit opens and his Titanmaster partner can sit in it. His guns peg under the wings to give him some firepower.

All in all, this is a great update to the G1 Topspin. The previous Generations Topspin was a Cybertronian shuttle repaint of Blast Off (based of the Fall of Cybertron video game), but wasn't really accurate to the original. This is a much better version. This toy will also be remolded into Twin Twist in a future wave.
Last edited by KilljoyBob on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Gotta love the Wreckers. Even though you better not get too attached to any one of them. I will have to pick up Topspin.

My most recent Transformers purchase was VICTORION: the first "fan-built" and first all-femme-bot combiner.
1000x600_fanschoice_transformer_victorion.jpg
1000x600_fanschoice_transformer_victorion.jpg (486.43 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Unfortunately, Victorion is more of a mixed bag.

The individual bots and their vehicle modes are pretty cool, and I actually like the color scheme they settled on (the original paintjobs they showed us were pretty garish). You are, however, only getting four "unique" sculpts, as the 'bots that form the arms and legs are pairs that are functionally identical just with different heads and paint apps. That wasn't a huge problem for me, but it's worth considering.

Of course, very few people leave these combiners, well, uncombined. Putting all these ladies together into Victorion is something of a pain. It took me quite awhile to put her together, with the most fiddly part being the motorcycle-turned-chestpiece. I am still not convinced I have that thing on right, as it will fall off if you touch it. Or breathe heavily. Or look at it.

Fully (and however temporarily) assembled, Victorion is pretty impressive. The head design is really cool and distinctive. She stands a bit taller than MP Optimus. But another weakness is her posing. Took some doing to get her balanced, and then you're not getting the most dynamic pose, for sure.

Easily the coolest thing is that big effing sword that combines together from all the individual bots' weapons. That sword is great.

Overall, I like Victorion, and am glad I bought her, but there are some definite shortcomings that probably would have kept me away from a different combiner set.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
KilljoyBob

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:22 pm

I wanted Victorian, but haven't seen her locally, and the price for a box set is a little high. I did collect the four combiners that were available at retail; Superion, Menasor, Defensor, and Bruticus. I even bought Wildrider and Slingshot, that were only available online.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:30 pm

That is actually very impressive. Pickings are so slim at the places I frequent that I doubt I'd ever be able to put a combiner together if I did it that way. I really want to get Computron, though.

Right now I have the most recent Devastator (which is amaaaaazing) and Victorion. Devastator towers over everything I own, including Unicron.

I doubt I have room for too many more combiners, honestly.
KilljoyBob

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Transformers Generations Perceptor
800px-TF-Generations-Titans-Return-Deluxe-Perceptor.jpg
800px-TF-Generations-Titans-Return-Deluxe-Perceptor.jpg (81.6 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Perceptor is a much more traditional (and boring) scientist compared to Wheeljack. In recent comics, he has also been a sniper and member of the Wreckers. As a toy in the Titans Return subline, he's now a Headmaster too.

Robot Mode
Perceptor looks a lot like his G1 toy, but with an actual face like in the cartoon, rather than a mask like the toy. There is a design flaw where a joint is placed right behind his head where it bumps into the spur on the back of the Titan Master, so he can't look directly forward. I got around it by putting the Titan Master's legs over the joint. He comes with his sniper rifle from recent comics. I have to say, unfortunately his plastic feels a little cheap. There's a weird paint flaw on mine, where the dial on his left arm is only half painted, but I don't know if they all have this problem, and it's an easy fix.

Microscope Mode
Perceptor's main alternate mode is a microscope. Like his G1 toy, he is actually a functional microscope, although the magnification is blurry at best. His Titan Master partner can lay on the tray, or peg onto the "legs."

Tank Mode
Like his G1 toy, Perceptor also has a tank mode. It's not listed on his instructions, but there are parts dedicated to making it, like tracks that extend out of his legs. Honestly, the tank mode is kind of a sloppy mess. It pegs together, but doesn't hold together well. There isn't really a seat or cockpit for his Titanmaster partner.

The previous Generations Perceptor transformed into a "research vehicle," and his transformation was a fiddly affair. I had actually broken mine so he couldn't tranform anymore, so I was looking forward to getting this new toy to replace him in my collection.
Last edited by KilljoyBob on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KilljoyBob

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Ryokuro wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:30 pm
That is actually very impressive. Pickings are so slim at the places I frequent that I doubt I'd ever be able to put a combiner together if I did it that way. I really want to get Computron, though.

Right now I have the most recent Devastator (which is amaaaaazing) and Victorion. Devastator towers over everything I own, including Unicron.

I doubt I have room for too many more combiners, honestly.
I think I did have to buy one wave of combiner limbs online.

I also got Devastator, as well as Metroplex and Fortress Maximus. They are friggin' huge! Even bigger than Devastator. It's like having two plastic children.
KilljoyBob

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Transformers Generations Quake
727px-TF-Titans-Return-Deluxe-Quake.jpg
727px-TF-Titans-Return-Deluxe-Quake.jpg (59.3 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Quake is a Decepticon tank. I don't know much about him; whenever I think of him, I mostly remember CO having a knockoff version of him that he was trying to identify on the old Halls. He was originally a Targetmaster, meaning his gun turned into a little robot partner, but now he's a Headmaster, so his head turns into a little robot partner. His new toy is a repaint of Hardhead with a new head that looks like his original. Also, that picture above makes him look more pink and purple than he really is; he's much more maroon and dark blue.

Robot Mode
I really like how Hasbro managed to use paint on his molded details to turn him from a mostly blue robot to a mostly maroon tank. Sure, the colors aren't realistic, but they are G1 accurate. He has a big cannon and a smaller machine gun. There are several placement options for his cannon; it can sit over his shoulder, pointing up on his back, or detach and be held in his hand. I prefer to have him holding it, to separate him from his mold mate Hardhead who usually has his over the shoulder. I do kind of wish his machine gun was lavender to match his G1 gun, but that probably would have cost too much. They did manage to replicate his distinctive Decepticon symbols with lighting bolts, they end up on his shoulders.

Vehicle Mode
Quake is a maroon tank with blue highlights and grey treads. He looks like a "futuristic" tank, like something you would see out of Halo, rather than a real world tank like his G1 toy. That's a result of sharing a mold with Hardhead. He has a cockpit with clear blue plastic that his Titan Master can sit in, and his turret also opens up to reveal a seat for a second Titan Master. He also has several pegs to attach more Titan Masters.

This is only Quake's second toy, and it's a pretty good one. The mold is nice and solid, and the new head separates him from looking just like Hardhead.
Last edited by KilljoyBob on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soylent Daveage
That Goat is Weird

Badges

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 pm

That Topspin is a huge improvement on the G1 toy. In fairness though, the G1 had to be a bit simple and chunky because it was based around an autotransform gimmick (Pull him back and he'll charge forward to a point, then the legs would release and he would flip, allegedly into a standing position, in reality flat on his face). I had the G1 twins, until Twin Twist broke a leg in an undocumented wall-related accident...
Until next time, this Has-Been's

Soylent Daveage

The food group of the FUTURE!

Proudly mis-managing the Melbourne Mudkips.
Gooooo MUDKIPS!
Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:52 pm

I don't really have the money for new Transformers right now, but I'm impressed at how deep into esoteric G1 territory they're getting.
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
KilljoyBob

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:57 am

Then this next one will. Blow. Your. Mind!

Transformers Generations Krok
800px-TF-Titans-Return-Deluxe-Krok.jpg
800px-TF-Titans-Return-Deluxe-Krok.jpg (56.19 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Krok was originally an Action Master, which means he was one of those weird Transformers that didn't transform; you either love them or hate them. He did come with a partner that changed from his gun into an alligator. So when Hasbro made a new version of Skullcruncher, a Headmaster that turned into an crocodile, they decided to do this repaint. And I'm glad they did, because it was another new and obscure Decepticon I could add to my collection.

Robot Mode
The picture above doesn't capture just how neon this guy is. His G1 toy was from the neon era of 1990, and this new toy doesn't shy away from it. It's a glorious mix of black, neon green, and dark purple. The Skullcruncher version of this toy has notoriously weak, floppy hips, making it really hard to stand it up. Fortunately, Krok's hips aren't nearly as weak.

Beast Mode
Krok transforms into a robotic crocodile. It's not a complicated transformation, but it does make a rather accurate looking animal. His neck has a big ball joint so the crocodile can move his head all around. The jaws open to reveal soft rubber teeth and even a molded tongue. His tail can move from side to side. There's a cockpit in the middle of his back for his Titanmaster partner to sit in.

Whether or not you want Krok will depend on if you like obscure Transformers, or if you like beast modes, or if you like neon toys. Personally, I've grown to like all of those, and I really like the new versions of Action Masters that can now transform.
Last edited by KilljoyBob on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:34 am

I have Skullcruncher and have not noticed the weak hips. He's standing quite well at this very moment, in fact! I think my biggest issue with that mold was the soft plastic flap that goes over his back/cockpit. It always seemed to push into the cockpit rather than just close. Krok's colors are very cool, and very Action Master-y.
KilljoyBob

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:54 am

You got lucky with your Skullcruncher then. A lot of people have complained about it. Mine stands fine, but trying to move him results in a rag doll.
KilljoyBob

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Transformers Generations Broadside
800px-TF-Generations-Titans-Return-Voyager-Broadside.jpg
800px-TF-Generations-Titans-Return-Voyager-Broadside.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Hey look, another Wrecker! Broadside was the third original Autobot Triple Changer, alongside Spinger and Sandstorm, and the last of the three to get a modern update. He's still a Triple Changer, transforming into an aircraft carrier and a jet. No, it still doesn't make sense. As part of the Titans Return line, he's also a Headmaster.

Robot Mode
Broadside is big and bulky, as you would expect a bot that turns into an aircraft carrier to be. His G1 toy was the ultimate brick, his only articulation was his shoulders, so at least Broadside benefits from modern articulation engineering. He has lots of little details, like his collar looks like a set of anti-aircraft guns on the sides of his head, clear blue wings on his back, and a fake cockpit on his chest. He's actually an extensive retool of an earlier Alpha Trion toy, but the only parts I can tell that are reused are the legs (and even those got some remolding) and the internal workings. He has two sets of tail fins on his legs, a red and a silver set, that get in each other's way. I actually flipped the silver tail fins upside-down, so both sets can sit flush against his legs. Also, I wish he came with an axe like his G1 toy, but he only comes with a clear blue gun.

Aircraft Carrier Mode
This is clearly his best vehicle mode, although it's mostly created with a lot of flat panels and sticker details. But it does have a control tower, which helps sell it. Probably the coolest thing is that Broadside comes with a set of tiny Aerialbots that can peg onto his flight deck in various places. They're only painted white, but each plane is distinctly shaped.

Jet Mode
Honestly, the jet mode is a mess. It's the weakest of his three modes. The problem is that there's no where for the legs to go, so they fold up on top of the jet. There are a couple fan made jet modes that try to fix it, but they don't peg together very securely. I can't see anyone displaying Broadside in his jet mode.

Broadside was hotly anticipated because he was the last Autobot Triple Changer, another Wrecker, and because he'd never received a modern toy. I honestly thought we'd never get a new Broadside, so I was happy to get him for my collection. Since there are plenty of jet Transformers, and aircraft carriers are much rarer in the toyline, I'm glad Hasbro focused on a good carrier. There's a rumor that he'll be repainted as Tidal Wave from Armada.
Last edited by KilljoyBob on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KilljoyBob

Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:47 am

Transformers Robots in Disguise Soundwave
800px-Warrior-soundwave.jpg
800px-Warrior-soundwave.jpg (71.03 KiB) Viewed 665 times

This Soundwave comes from the current Robots in Disguise cartoon. I haven't kept up with the series since the first season, but I still buy the occasional toy from it. Most of the early Decepticons were original characters with animalistic robot modes, recently they've started doing 'Cons based on G1 characters.

This Soundwave takes a lot of cues from previous Soundwave toys: obviously the basic design and color scheme, as well as his shoulder cannon, come from G1; the vehicle design looks to come from the War for Cybertron game; his chest design is similar to that of Animated; while the head design comes from Transformers Prime (interestingly, the package art show him with a faceplate that looks more like his G1 counterpart).

His transformation is a little more fiddly than I was expecting, especially getting all the tabs on his arms/front fenders to connect tightly. And somewhat dissapointingly, his hands aren't hidden at all. They don't fold in, and just sit (upside-down, at least ) on the sides of the vehicle.
Last edited by KilljoyBob on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.