Reviews You Can Use

The plastic manifestations of our our geekiest fantasies.

Moderator: Emperor

KilljoyBob
Colonel Sanders Understudy

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:55 pm

I have an incredibly nerdy answer for you! Each toy came with one of 12 cards featuring a combination with a random Prime. The TF Wiki has compiled all of them here. There are Prima cards for each of the toys (including Rodimus Prime).

As for why the Prima figure came with Punch/Counterpunch...well, I don't have an answer. But the only other version of her was only available with the SDCC exclusive Throne of the Primes playset, so maybe Hasbro wanted people who didn't buy that to at least get a version of her. The two Prime Masters that came with Blast Off and Repugnus were available in stores, with the Bomb Burst and Octopunch Pretender shells.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:05 pm

So my Prima-with-fembots thing was just luck of the draw? Wild.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
KilljoyBob

Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:25 pm

It seems so.
KilljoyBob

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:25 am

Ryokuro wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:15 pm
I just recently bought Moonracer and "Novastar" (Firestar) on an impulse, and I pretty much have to agree with KJB's review of the mold from earlier this year.
I found Novastar out in the wild tonight at a local Target. And my review of Moonracer works for this toy too. I will say, I like that she has different painted details, especially in car mode, and she only has one windshield. Also, it's not listed in the instructions, but Novastar's gun can connect to the back of Moonracer's to create a larger rifle. And be careful, there is a lot of painted clear plastic on both of these toys.
POTP-Deluxe-Novastar.jpg
POTP-Deluxe-Novastar.jpg (148.64 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Hope you don't mind, KJB, but I figured I'd use this to post some quick impressions of the Transformers Card Game.
Transformers-Trading-Card-Game-Boosters.jpg
Transformers-Trading-Card-Game-Boosters.jpg (226.79 KiB) Viewed 510 times
I bought a starter set and a booster box and they just arrived today, so I haven't had a chance to actually play the game yet, so these are just my thoughts on the art and the packaging.

- The character cards are all "commander" sized, which is to say about twice the size of a normal playing card. This is cool, as it leaves plenty of room for art, but it does create some odd problems that I'll get into in a bit. Each card is two-sided with the bot mode on one, and the alt mode on the other. The bot mode side features holographic foil. The art on all of these is really cool, and these cards are easily the biggest reason to buy into the game.

- The upgrade cards, which are all standard size, are much less impressive. The overall design of them is so-so, and the art is lifted entirely from comic panels. Which is...fine? But when you're coming from card games like Magic, or basically anything Fantasy Flight puts out, you expect a little more from your card art.

- I did pull Wheeljack, so that's good.

- I ended up with five duplicate character cards, which is to be expected. (I think there's only 40 character cards in this first set, and a booster box has 30 packs) But I will have to trade them off somehow. I did not get one of the "Super Rares," which I understand is one-in-three booster boxes. I really dislike that kind of rarity.

- So the booster packs, containing one character card and seven upgrade cards, were...interesting. The material used for the wrapper was tougher than the typical Magic pack, and very hard to open. I eventually resorted to cutting them open with scissors. These packs are also incredibly wasteful, as each one contains TWO blank cardstock inserts to protect the character card, and then the upgrade cards are wrapped in a separate clear plastic wrapper. Card games are inherently wasteful, but this is truly insane. I am hoping I can find some use for the 60 cardstock inserts I have now, because I am loathe to just toss them.

- The starter set is also pretty wasteful, arranging four character cards (and a small deck of upgrade cards) in a clear plastic shell so you can see both the front and back of one of them. It also, weirdly, doesn't protect the cards very well; mine were all slightly warped. You don't even get a full-fledged rule book, just a card explaining how to play with the cards in the starter set.

Again, I haven't yet played a game, so I'll reserve my full opinion until then, but my first impression is largely disappointment. The character cards are really cool and are worth collecting on their own, but the rest of the game design seems almost like an afterthought. And the lack of substance in the starter set is off-putting. No rule book, no card list, and not even some decent plastic tokens to track damage. I definitely don't feel like I got my money's worth.
KilljoyBob

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 pm

I don't mind, I hadn't read a review of the cards. I've never been into collectable card games before, but my love of Transformers had me interested (like how my love of superheroes got me into a collectable miniatures game you might have heard of...). From what you've said, I'll probably skip this game.

My question is, if the character cards are over sized and won't fit in regular trading card sleeves, how are you supposed to store them?
Ryokuro
Emperor

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:48 pm

From my own limited research, there are individual sleeves for the larger-sized cards, but fewer companies make them. And from what I can tell, only ONE company makes binder pages for them, and that's UltiPro. (Which kinda sucks because I don't really like their sleeves.)

But I've also seen some mumblings on Reddit that the Transformers cards are a tiny bit bigger than they should be, so who knows.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:00 pm

Just in case you're curious, here's a full list of all the character cards available in Wave 1. I didn't include the cards exclusive to the Starter Set or from SDCC, and I bolded the ones I actually got. So I will definitely be hitting the secondary market for the 15 characters I didn't get, because there's really no point in continuing to buy boosters at this point.

Super Rare

Bumblebee // Legendary Warrior
Nemesis Prime // Dark Clone

Rare

Arcee // Skilled Fighter
Autobot Cosmos // Recon & Communication
Chromia // Special Ops
Darkmount // Cruel Overlord
Decepticon Shockwave // Cybertron Commander
Grimlock // Dinobot Leader
Insecticon Skrapnel // Insecticon Leader
Megatron // Living Weapon
Optimus Prime // Battlefield Legend
Sunstorm // Fusion Flyer

Uncommon

Autobot Jazz // Special Ops
Autobot Mirage // Lone Wolf
Chop Shop // Sneaky Insecticon
Deadlock // Bounty Hunter
Demolisher // Devoted Decepticon
Dinobot Sludge // Mighty Stomper
Dinobot Snarl // Desert Warrior
Inferno // Fearless Firefighter
Jetfire // Air Guardian
Kickback // Cunning Insecticon
Prowl // Military Strategist
Ransack // Insecticon Commando
Skywarp // Sneaky Prankster
Starscream // Air Commander
Thundercracker // Mach Warrior
Wheeljack // Weapons Inventor

Common

Autobot Hound // Long-Range Scout
Barrage // Merciless Insecticon

Bombshell // Insecticon Mind-Controller
Bumblebee // Courageous Scout
Dinobot Slug // Hot-Headed Warrior
Dinobot Swoop // Fearsome Flyer
Flamewar // Veteran Decepticon
Megatron // Decepticon Leader
Optimus Prime // Freedom Fighter
Ramjet // Sky Smasher
Sergeant Kup // Veteran Sergeant
Starscream // Scheming Second-in-Command
Soylent Daveage
That Goat is Weird

Badges

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:11 am

Nice that you got the full set of Seekers though... I'll keep an eye out at the collectible shops around here and see if anyone bothers stocking the cards, maybe pick up a few packs...
Until next time, this Has-Been's

Soylent Daveage

The food group of the FUTURE!

Proudly mis-managing the Melbourne Mudkips.
Gooooo MUDKIPS!
Trebor
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:36 pm

So, my LGS has been raving about how good the actual game is all week. I plan on buying into it once I have a real income again.
hey
KilljoyBob

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Transformers: War for Cybertron: Siege Topshot and Flak
War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Micro-Master-Battle-Patrol.jpg
War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Micro-Master-Battle-Patrol.jpg (354.9 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Man, this new Transformers toyline has a long title. From now on, I'll just refer to the toyline as Siege. Anyway, Siege brings the return of Micromasters, sold in two-packs. Micromasters, as their name implies, are tiny Transformers, originally created to compete with/cash in on the popularity of Micro Machines. The G1 Micromasters were actually sold in four-packs representing a complete team, so that means these new sets are missing two of each team. Maybe we'll get the others in future lines. But right now Siege has provided three two-packs in wave 1, with two more sets planned for the second wave (though one set is Ravage and Laserbeak, not actual Micromasters).

Topshot (formerly Big Shot) and Flak are two members of the Autobot Battle Patrol. Topshot is the tan self-propelled gun, and Flak is the green missile launcher. Due to their small size, they aren't very complicated, but they do have ball-jointed shoulders and seperated legs with knees, so they are a slight engineering step up over their G1 versions. Topshot's turret can rotate 360° and cannon can move up and down on a joint. They both have some nice molded details, especially for the size, including their faces.

One new thing these Micromasters do is combine to make weapons for the bigger Transformers. I actually picked the Battle Patrol set to buy first because their combined weapon looked better than the other two sets. (Of course, I'll get the other sets eventually.) It's a simple combination, they pretty much just peg together to become a gun using Flak's legs as the barrels, and Topshot's cannon becomes the handgrip. It's still not the best gun, with two different colors, and Topshot's face visible on the top. But it's a pretty big gun, and will probably scale best with a Voyager class toy, or be a heavy artillery weapon for a Deluxe class toy. And it's nice that Hasbro is trying to incorporate the Micromasters into the larger line, which the originals never did.

Oddly, my Battle Patrol set came with the instructions for the Racing Team set. Fortunately, their small size means they're not too complicated to figure out just from looking at pictures.

Micromasters represent the later end of G1, when Hasbro was trying every gimmick they could think of to keep Transformers relevant. While the characters themselves may not be as beloved as the early, bigger ones, the small size, vast quantities, and inexpensive nature of the toys meant that kids could have a lot of them, and develop fond memories of those. It's nice to see them getting this update.
KilljoyBob

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Transformers WfC Siege Firedrive
War-For-Cybertron-Siege-Battle-Master-Firedrive.jpg
War-For-Cybertron-Siege-Battle-Master-Firedrive.jpg (284.18 KiB) Viewed 79 times
You guys don't even know how happy I am that we're getting new Transformer toys! Besides the Micromasters, Siege is also bring back the Targetmasters, although they're now called Battle Masters. We've seem some Targetmasters in recent lines, most notably with Scoop and Cyclonus, but this is the first time they've been sold separately without a larger partner.

Firedrive is an update of Hot Rod's original Targetmaster, Firebolt. He doesn't have much in common with the original besides having two barrels. But his robot torso is molded and painted to look like Firebolt's animation model. And it's hard to see, but he has a tiny Autobot logo tampographed on his forehead. In robot mode, his gun barrels can be disconnected from his back and peg onto his arm, so he can use his own gun.

In weapon mode, he has two gun barrels and missile pods appear to be molded in the bottom of his feet. He holds together really well in weapon mode, with his arms and legs all pegging together. He comes with a couple of pink "fire effect" accessories that can plug onto the barrel tips and make it look likeits shooting. I'm not sure how I feel about these yet, it seems odd that in my display only a few guys firing their weapons. These fire effects can also be attached to the larger bots in the Siege line to simulate explosions.

I'm going to display Firedrive with the recent Titans Return Hot Rod. I just wish they had designed his gun mode to be able to peg onto his car hood, like the original. It would have been a nice touch.