Reviews You Can Use

The plastic manifestations of our our geekiest fantasies.

Moderator: Emperor

Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:07 am

Oh, right, I forgot about those, even though I had a bunch of them at one time. (Not sure if I still do or not.)
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
KilljoyBob
Colonel Sanders Understudy

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Transformers Generations PotP Cutthroat
800px-TF-POTP-Deluxe-Class-Cutthroat.jpg
800px-TF-POTP-Deluxe-Class-Cutthroat.jpg (45.77 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Cutthroat is part of the third wave of Power of the Primes Deluxes, along with his Terrorcon teammates Sinnertwin and Blot. He probably has the most aggressive name for a toy ever.

Robot Mode:
Cutthroat uses most of the engineering of the Dinobot Swoop, except for his legs. As such, he is the thinnest of his team. He has a really unique color scheme, being mostly an eggnog color, with forest green and maroon accents.

Monster Mode:
He turns into a big bird monster. His torso transforms just like Swoop, but his robot legs collapse down like the Aerialbots. The monster legs sit on the outside of the robot legs. He also has a wide, flat tail that doesn't look organic at all, but balances the monster mode. His bird head sits in front of the robot head, but it doesn't have the range of motion as Swoop and likes to pop off. It does have an opening jaw and a small crest on his head. The torso doesn't do a very good job of hiding that it's a robot torso.

Cutthroat is probably the weakest of the Terrorcons. But he has a unique shape among the team, and a unique color scheme among the Transformers. Plus, you need him to make Abominus.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
KilljoyBob

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Transformers Generations PotP Sinnertwin
800px-TF-POTP-Deluxe-Class-Sinnertwin.jpg
800px-TF-POTP-Deluxe-Class-Sinnertwin.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Sinnertwin is another Terrorcon with an awesome name. He's actually a heavy retool of the Dinobot Snarl, with new engineering.

Robot Mode:
Sinnertwin is a yellow and blue-green robot. He actually shares similar color scheme to Wierdwolf (who was released in Titans Return), but not exactly the same color layout. He has a rather generic face.

Monster Mode:
Sinnertwin transforms into a yellow two-headed dragon with blue-green legs and two blue-green tails. The necks have ball joints behind the heads, and tilt joints where they meet the torso. Unfortunately, there's no side-to-side motion. There's pieces of plastic that fill in the hollow gaps in the necks. And the jaws open and close too. The monster's front legs are much thicker than the hind legs, being the robot arms.

Sinnertwin is probably my favorite of the Terrorcons. He reminds me of the monster dogs from Ghostbusters. Although, he's not as original as some of the others, since Hun-Gurr is also a two-headed dragon.
KilljoyBob

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Transformers Generations PotP Blot
710px-TF-POTP-Deluxe-Class-Blot.jpg
710px-TF-POTP-Deluxe-Class-Blot.jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 873 times
Blot gets the the award for "most improved Terrorcon since his G1 toy," because his original toy was so bad. His monster mode was a nondescript block with legs; the TF Wiki describes it as an "angry nose." But now, thanks to modern molding and engineering, he looks like one of the best in the set.

Robot Mode:
Blot is a dark purple robot with light purple head, arms, and thighs. He has a set of three claws on each forearm, kind of like Wolverine claws, but they don't stick out very far; they're actually for his monster mode. The monster head and shoulders sit on his back, and the monster legs sit on the outside of his legs.

I don't know if it was intentional or a molding accident, but every version of Blot I've seen has a messed up face. The face is lumpy, the chin is uneven, and the "goatee" doesn't sit directly in the middle. Considering that Blot is supposed to be one of the ugliest, most disgusting Decepticons ever, it seems to work.

Monster Mode:
Technically, Blot's monster mode is an ogre. It has a simple transformation, but it works: the monster head and shoulders come up over the robot head, the robot legs fold up on the back, and the monster legs unfold. For the hands, the middle claws are attached to the robot hands; when they're folded in, the middle claws become thumbs. It makes for a unique silhouette. There's also a clip on his back to plug in his gun. Unlike the other Terrorcons, Blot doesn't have an opening mouth.

On a team with two dragons and two beast monsters, Blot's ogre is unique.
KilljoyBob

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:50 pm

ABOMINUS!
451px-TF-PotP-Abominus.jpg
451px-TF-PotP-Abominus.jpg (51.82 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Now that I have all the Terrorcons, I guess I should review their combined form, Abominus.

First off, unlike most combiners that have a set configuration for the limbs, Abominus doesn't seem to be consistent through his appearances in media. The configuration in the picture above, with Blot and Rippersnapper as arms and Sinnertwin and Cutthroat as legs, is generally the one that's used. But even then, they can sometimes switch side to side. That picture is the one included with his instructions, so it's what I use for my Abominus.

He's a great mismash of colors, thanks to the brightly colored individual robots. I'm glad Hasbro is no longer shying away from the bright G1 color schemes. There's something kind of ridiculous, yet very 80s, about a monster robot with bright pink armor. Since his feet are Hun-Gurr's accessories, they are also pink like his G1 version. But the hands are the accessories of the limb robots and colored to match them (unlike Combiner Wars, where each team has matching weapons), so they aren't pink like the G1 toy. The hands have big spikes on the knuckles, which is pretty appropriate for Abominus. Cutthroat and Sinnertwin's hand accessories can be plugged into the back of the feet for extra stability.

Unfortunately, since Hun-Gurr doesn't come with any other weapons, Abominus doesn't have a weapon. Since he's a giant rage monster, I guess he just uses his fists (like Volcanicus). The only other accessory he has is the "Enigma of Combination," a Titan Master sized plug that fits in a port in his chest. Unlike the other PotP combiners, Abominus has a door that covers the Enigma, so he can retain his G1 look.

I didn't notice it until I took them off the shelf, but Abominus is actually taller than all the Combiner Wars combiners (except for Devestator). This is partly due to Hun-Gurr being a tall, lanky torso, and partly due to his feet pieces being taller than theirs. To me, it makes sense that even among the combiners, Abominus would be a giant monster.

One thing I didn't mention on their individual reviews, but each Terrorcon has a tampograph (or a sticker in Hun-Gurr's case) of a purple Decepticon symbol on a black background, in a silver square. These are meant to homage the old heat sensitive stickers on the G1 toys. It would have been nice if they had just given them actual heat sensitive stickers.

So, that's another combiner finished for me. Now that we know Hasbro is willing to make the Decepticons with crazy alt-modes and colors, it gives me hope that they'll remake the Seacons someday.
KilljoyBob

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:07 am

Transformers Generations PotP Outback
POTP-Legends-Autobot-Outback.jpg
POTP-Legends-Autobot-Outback.jpg (219.9 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Outback is a Legends class toy in the last wave of the Power of the Primes. Like G1, he's a repaint of Brawn.

Robot Mode:
Outback is a tan and brown robot, with silver arms and a silver head. He has a new molded head with blue painted eyes. He has a symbol tampographed on his chest that matches the sticker on his G1 toy. Strangely, he doesn't have an Autobot logo on his robot mode. His roof can be held as a shield.

Vehicle Mode:
Outback's vehicle is a tan SUV with a black tire on the roof. There's a small Autobot logo on the right side. The top opens up and a Prime Master (or Titan Master) can be placed inside.

Unfortunately, Outback doesn't come with a weapon. The big difference between his G1 toy and Brawn's was that his came with a cannon on top. I've given my a gun that came with a recent Legends Optimus Prime. The gun has a big peg for the robot to hold, and a small peg that can fit in the wheel on his roof.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:24 pm

I really like Outback. He's cool.

I do sorta love A-Bomb's wild-ass color scheme, but in a way that I don't know that I'd ever want to actually own the whole thing. It is, quite frankly, a lot. I'll probably pick up Sinnertwin and Cutthroat, though.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
KilljoyBob

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 am

Transformers Generations PotP Cindersaur
POTP-Legends-Cindersaur.jpg
POTP-Legends-Cindersaur.jpg (169.61 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Cindersaur is a Firecon, so his G1 toy had a gimmick where it would shoot "cold sparks" when you pushed it across the ground. This new toy doesn't have any cool gimmick, it's a simple repaint of the recent Slash toy.

Robot Mode:
Cindersaur is a purple and mustard yellow robot with grey highlights. He does have a new head, with a lime green face and blue eyes, to match his original toy. The colors are about where the similarities end. His original toy was pretty nondescript, but it was a chunky little guy, and this new Cindersaur is pretty skinny.

Beast Mode:
Cindersaur transforms into a Velociraptor. Again, this is not at all like his G1 toy, which turned into a kaiju monster. He's mostly purple, with the yellow mostly on his tail and sides. I wish they had at least made his dinosaur arms yellow, as his monster's yellow arms were a distinguishing feature. He's also missing his silver horn on his nose, which would have required a new molded beast head. He does have silver eyes, though.

Unless you're a completionist like me, or you really want a version of this character (like me), you can probably skip Cindersaur. He just doesn't evoke the original as much as someone like Outback does. If you like the mold, I would suggest getting Slash instead. She has a more interesting color scheme, and fits in with her team better than Cindersaur (who is now teamed up with Terrorcons).

One interesting note: some of the Prime cards (they're packed in with the toys randomly) use female pronouns for Cindersaur, while others use male pronouns. This is probably an error left over from the mold being Slash originally. Or maybe Cindersaur is gender fluid.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:30 am

KilljoyBob wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 am
One interesting note: some of the Prime cards (they're packed in with the toys randomly) use female pronouns for Cindersaur, while others use male pronouns. This is probably an error left over from the mold being Slash originally. Or maybe Cindersaur is gender fluid.
This was brought up on Seibertron at one point, and a poster quickly derided the use of the term as "dangerous" or "unhealthy." A moderator told him to be respectful, and he replied that he would only be respectful as long as the mod was around. The mod posted a link that said "Here's the door," which led to the forums' logout page.

Quality moderation: 10/10.
KilljoyBob

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am

I think I read that exact exchange.

It bothers me how many people are fans of a franchise that includes the phrase, "freedom is the right of all sentient beings," and think that only applies to alien robots and not to their fellow humans who are different from them.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:19 pm

I deleted the Transformers: Earth Wars game off my phone shortly after the election because it turned out everyone in my Alliance was a hardcore Trumper. I tried to just quit that Alliance, but the GM would NOT leave me alone, even after I told him very specifically to do just that or I would report him. After all that, I was pretty soured on that game.

Anyway, I'm always pretty shocked when other fans of something that espouses ideas like equality and mutual respect for other cultures has completely ignored those ideas. I guess they're only in it for the "PEW PEW TRUCK GO VROOM ROBOT SMASH"

But I'm also pretty amused that a dude who follows stories about an ancient race of creatures that is almost entirely male is so put off by the idea of gender fluidity.
KilljoyBob

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Yeah, I know a guy that is big into Transformers, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who, but is somehow a hardcore conservative. It boggles my mind.

Of course, we've seen recently that the Star Wars fandom is somehow full of misogynistic and racist assholes. Maybe they all think Palpatine had some good ideas.
KilljoyBob

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Transformers Studio Series Jazz

StudioSeries-10-MV1-Deluxe-Jazz.jpg
StudioSeries-10-MV1-Deluxe-Jazz.jpg (209.6 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Proving once again that I am either a liar or an addict, I bought another Studio Series figure. This time it is Jazz, from the first movie. My justification is that the only movie Jazz I had was a version with a G1 deco, so I needed a "real" Jazz for my collection.

Robot Mode:
The first thing you'll notice about Jazz is that he is tiny. He is technically a Deluxe figure (and priced as such), but he barely stands taller than a Legends class toy. This is scale accurate to the Studio Series line, as Jazz was the smallest bot in the first movie, but it kind of sucks to pay almost $20 for such a small toy (Studio Series doesn't have a Legends Class).

The other thing about Jazz is how screen accurate he is. He has a nice metallic silver paint job and lots of molded robot details. There is a little red Pontiac logo painted on his chest. Unfortunately, he achieves this by having a big chunk of his car roof that just sits on his back. There is a clear plastic visor that sits over his eyes. He comes with his shield/gun, which he can either hold in his left hand or it can plug into his wrists to give the impression that it unfolded out of his arm.

Vehicle Mode:
Jazz transforms into a silver Pontiac Solstice. Again, it is tiny, even smaller than the robot. There is a tendency for people to not transform him correctly; there is a peg on the inside of his car roof, if it isn't pegged in right it will leave a bunch of gaps between the panels. But if it is done right, Jazz closes up tight and has a nice looking car mode. Like on the orginal toys, his shield/gun can peg under the spoiler, but it looks really out of place and I'm a little worried that it will scratch the paint.

I'm glad I picked up Jazz, but the high price may turn people off from buying him.
Trebor
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 pm

KilljoyBob wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:06 pm
Proving once again that I am either a liar or an addict,
Those go hand in hand most of the time.
hey
Ryokuro
Emperor

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm

NEMESIS PRIME
nemesisprime.jpg
nemesisprime.jpg (325.38 KiB) Viewed 679 times
I bought Nemesis Prime! He's an Amazon-exclusive repaint/slight retool of PotP's Optimus Prime. The gimmick with that figure (much like the PotP Rodimus) is that the trailer is the armor that makes Orion Pax into the heroic leader of the Autobots. In Nemesis Prime's case, that makes a little less sense ("Nemesis Pax" was never a thing.) but then, an evil clone of Optimus doesn't really make much sense either.

I've never had a Nemesis Prime before. And if I'm being completely honest, I've never had an Optimus with a trailer before. So this is exciting!

But literally my first impression of Nemesis was disappointment. In all his promo photos and box art, Nemesis has two good-size Decepticon decals on his shoulders. But when I opened mine up, I immediately noticed that the stickers were comparatively tiny. I'm not sure if this was an error or just cost-cutting, but it immediately dampened my enthusiasm for what is otherwise a pretty cool and intimidating figure. (I guess I can always hit up Reprolabels later on.)

Once I got past that, I got back into how cool the figure is. He has Optimus's legendary ion blaster, but instead of the energy axe, he has a huge energy sword that looks a lot like Grimlock's. He also has two huge grey cannons that can attach to his forearms. But the accessory I'm most taken with is another sword that turns into a bird. It's a very simple but very smooth transformation, and I think this bird-sword is my favorite weapon now. These accessories and a sinister head remold help Nemesis look less like Optimus got the wrong paintjob at Maaco and more like a badass who will destroy everything you care about. This mold also is a little more cohesive than Rodimus Prime, and doesn't have anything like the weird shoulders that figure has.

However, the "transformation" from Nemesis Pax to Nemesis Prime basically means you ball Pax up and jam him into the back of the armor. It works, and doesn't look too terrible, but it's a little unsatisfying. You can see his folded-up arms and legs sitting there like a dumb backpack. You can actually peg the ion blaster into the hand to store it on Prime's back, which is kinda neat. To get to the Evil Matrix, you actually have to open up Prime's chest AND Pax's chest which is weird.

Nemesis Pax is...okay? I don't have any intention of displaying him, so I wasn't too concerned, but he's a solid large deluxe-size figure with good articulation. He transforms into the cab.

The cab is...meh. I couldn't quite figure out what to do with the arms when I was doing my "no instructions" run, only to find out that the instructions didn't know what to do with the arms either. They just kinda fold up and sit there near the trailer hitch. Then the armor folds out into the many fiddly panels that make the trailer. Once you get that all snapped together correctly, it actually makes a FAR better trailer than Rodimus's, but you do have to get everything aligned exactly right. You can flip out two of the panels to attach cannons to either side, and the swords and ion blaster peg into the top. Having the trailer literally bristling with weapons definitely distracts from its shortcomings.
nemesistruck.jpg
nemesistruck.jpg (17.27 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Overall, I really like the look of Nemesis Prime, and I think this mold works for him maybe a little better than it does for Optimus, but the shortcomings of the "armor" gimmick definitely hurt the vehicle mode. I think I will go ahead and get some Reprolabels stickers to really trick him out.