Reviews You Can Use

The plastic manifestations of our our geekiest fantasies.

Moderator: Emperor

KilljoyBob
Lord Help Me I'm Back On My Bullshit

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Transformers Studio Series Blackout
StudioSeries-08-MV1-Leader-Blackout.jpg
StudioSeries-08-MV1-Leader-Blackout.jpg (347.44 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Man, it feels like forever since I've gotten a new Transformer. Way back in April, after I reviewed SS Stinger, I posted that Blackout is probably the only other toy from the line I was interested in. I got him today for Father's Day, and he is awesome.

Robot Mode:
The original Blackout from way back in 2007 was a Voyager Class toy, and since much of his mass was in his rotor accessory he was actually one of the smaller Voyagers. The new Blackout is a Leader Class toy, and he doesn't sacrifice size for a gimmick. He uses a lot of folded in panels to keep him from being too much of a shellformer. There's lots of molded details like hydraulics, as befits the movie accuracy of the Studio Series line. He even features the helicopter engine sitting behind his head, which is missing from previous toys. He has ankle joints for extra stability. His legs are a little thin compared to the rest of his bulk. His hands can only sit in a palm down configuration due to the transformation joints. His tail rotor can attach to his forearm as a weapon.

He also comes with a scale accurate non-transforming Scorponok. He has a joint in each claw elbow, and two joints in his tail. He can store on Blackout's back or his the helicopter's tail.

Vehicle Mode:
Blackout transforms into a Pave-Low helicopter. His helicopter mode is huge. There are U.S. Air Force markings and 4500X stamped on his panels. His name is also tampographed on the tail. Apparently some of the toys have the USAF markings on the tail upside-down. The rear section of the helicopter is unfortunately very hollow, made up of panels, it's where Scorponok is stored.

Blackout's attack at the beginning of the first movie was one of the best parts of the whole series. His previous toy was always a little disappointing. I'm glad he finally got a decent, large toy. He also comes with a cardboard backdrop showing his attack for display.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
Ryokuro
Emperor

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Nice! I was actually just thinking it had been a long time since you did a RYCU, so I'm glad to see you back in the pilot's seat, as it were.
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
KilljoyBob

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:54 pm

It's all about Hasbro's distribution schedule. The Terrorcons are showing up in other countries, but aren't in the US yet.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:19 pm

I hit Target the other day for lame shit like food and house stuff, but of course stopped by the toy section. The Transformers shelf was ridiculously bare. They had a couple of PotP Starscreams and a couple of the Studio Series figures, and a handful of other things that didn't even register with me. I guess it's good they're selling through this stuff, though.
KilljoyBob

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Transformers Cyber Battalion Shockwave
1522002779-shockwave-review-07.jpg
1522002779-shockwave-review-07.jpg (65.48 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Back in October, I reviewed the Cyber Battalion Jetfire, from a Walgreens executive line of simplified toys. This is the Shockwave from the same line, and he's actually the most sought after toy from that line, for reasons I'll explain.

Robot Mode:
Shockwave is roughly the same size as a Voyager Class toy, and looks a lot like the version from the G1 cartoon. Since Hasbro hasn't made a Voyager sized Shockwave in the Generations line, many fans are hunting for this toy for their CHUG collections (that's why I brought him). Since he is a simpler toy, he has limited articulation: his arms have shoulder and elbow joints, but his knees only rotate and don't bend. The back of his legs are hollow, but they look okay from the front. He has his classic gun hand, but there's no hose like the G1 toy. The plastic doesn't feel as cheap as the Jetfire.

Vehicle Mode:
Shockwave transforms into some sort of spaceship or flying gun. It's a simple transformation. There's an unpainted false head that rotates into place of his real head in this mode. His arms don't really hide anywhere, they just stick out to the back of the ship. He does actually have a landing gear that unfolds to hold up the front. There are apparently some collectors that have modified the wings to fold down to make a handle, and turn his spaceship into a gun, but it can't do that out of the box.

If you're wanting a big, G1 looking Shockwave to display, and don't care too much about the vehicle mode or dynamic articulation, this one is actually a good option.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:06 pm

Cool! I'm glad there's a much-cheaper G1 alternative to the MP Shockwave for folks. The War for Cybertron Shocky stood in for me until I got the MP version.
KilljoyBob

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:55 am

How big is MP Shockwave compared to Generations toys? I only have the MP Grimlock, and he stands as tall as a Leader Class toy, but I heard they were scaling down the more recent Masterpieces.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:19 am

Shockwave is just a little bit shorter than Grimlock in dino mode, and comes up to MP Prime's windshield/chest.
KilljoyBob

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:18 am

I found this picture with all the versions of G1 Shockwave for size comparisons.
rm-group.jpg
rm-group.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 595 times
It doesn't show the Transformers Prime Shockwave, which I know some people were using in their Classics collections.

One these days I'll have to take a picture of all my Shockwaves. I have the three in front on that picture, plus one from the movie line, two from Prime (a Voyager and a Legends one), and two from Animated (one gray, one purple).
Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:40 am

I had the one from Animated. That was Longarm/Shockwave, right? I think I sold him along with some movie figures at our ill-fated garage sale a couple years ago. (That was nearly all we sold.) I still have the WFC version chilling amongst my deluxe-size 'Cons. And one of the little miniature non-transforming figures that came out in 2006. Can't remember what that line was called.
Revil Fox
Leaf Shield

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:39 am

Awwww, the little one is so CUTE!
KilljoyBob

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Ryokuro wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:40 am
I had the one from Animated. That was Longarm/Shockwave, right? I think I sold him along with some movie figures at our ill-fated garage sale a couple years ago. (That was nearly all we sold.) I still have the WFC version chilling amongst my deluxe-size 'Cons. And one of the little miniature non-transforming figures that came out in 2006. Can't remember what that line was called.
The Animated one was Longarm/Shockwave. The regular one was gray, the purple one was a Target exclusive. I thought it was pretty impressive to make a toy with two robot modes and two vehicle modes.

The little non-transforming guys were called Robot Heroes. I forgot, I have that one too, because we bought all of those for my son.
Chaomancer Omega
We Went There

Badges

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:37 am

I thought they were "Heroes of Cybertron".
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
KilljoyBob

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:27 pm

It looks like they are two different toylines. Heroes of Cybertron are older and were more realisticly proportioned figures. Robot Heroes were designed for little kids and more "cute" proportioned. Looking at the figure lists, it doesn't appear that Shockwave had a Heroes of Cybertron toy, but in in Robot Heroes came in a 2-pack with Grimlock. I think this might be the toy Ryo is talking about.
G1_RobotHeroes_ShockwaveVsGrimlock.jpg
G1_RobotHeroes_ShockwaveVsGrimlock.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Yep, those are the ones. Of course, I was disappointed when they ended the line before they made Wheeljack. (Perceptor got one though. :grr: )