Reviews You Can Use

The plastic manifestations of our our geekiest fantasies.

Moderator: Emperor

Ryokuro
Emperor

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I got WfC Hound!

He's pretty cool. One of the weirder leg transformations I've seen. And he's a fine replacement for Classics Hound, which I always thought was a bit cheesy looking (and not in a good way).
Beware, beware the Daughter of the Sea...
KilljoyBob
Atlantean Werewolf on Mars

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Lucky!

Hound is definitely on my list to get from wave 1, as well as Cog and Skytread. I'll probably skip Sideswipe, since I still like the Universe version, and I like that he shares a mold with Sunstreaker and Red Alert. No subsequent set of Lamborghinis have shared a mold.
:devil: MY JUSTICE TASTES LIKE APPLES!
KilljoyBob

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:42 pm

Transformers WfC: Siege Storm Cloud and Visper

WFCS-Micro-Master-Decepticon-Air-Strike-Patrol.jpg
WFCS-Micro-Master-Decepticon-Air-Strike-Patrol.jpg (229.25 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Storm Cloud and Visper are members of the Decepticon Air Strike Patrol, and are the third and final set of Micromasters in wave 1 of Siege. Both are black and purple robots that turn into tiny jets.

Poor Whisper is now renamed Visper for trademark reasons, but I'll continue to call him Whisper, because Visper isn't a real word. He's the one with the purple torso and silver face. Like the G1 toy, his new mold retains the distinctive pods on the sides of his head, similar to Starscream and the Seekers. He even has new details, like red paint on his wings, that the G1 version lacked.

Storm Cloud has his unique lime green face that really stands out among all the black and purple. And due to his transformation, he's the only Micromasters with elbows! But he's lacking hands, instead he has pegs that can hold the Targetmasters' "fire effects." In jet mode, they become the engines. He has a few silver paint details that his G1 toy never had.

The sword that they make when combined is okay, though it's two jets with their tail ends stuck together. At least on one side, there's no obvious robot parts. It would look good in the hands of a Voyager like Megatron.

This set is probably my favorite of the first wave of Micromasters. The robots are nice upgrades to the originals, and both have nice tight joints. The pictures above don't show it, but their wings can fold back to give them better humanoid robots. They have big heel spurs to balance their big backpacks. Their jet modes peg together tightly, and each has a distinct shape. The transformations are simple, and the parts don't get in each other's way. Even the plastic feels like better quality than the Race Car Patrol.
KilljoyBob

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

POTP-Titan-Predaking-set.jpg
POTP-Titan-Predaking-set.jpg (294.1 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Each year since 2013, Hasbro has released a Titan class figure. This year it was the combiner, Predaking. He's made up of five Predacon figures, each one Voyager sized (similar to the Devastator combiner from 2015).

The Predacons each transform into a rather boxy animal, with some combination of black, red, orange and yellow color schemes. Tantrum (now called Torox) the bull and Headstrong the rhino both have large combiner thighs stuck under their animal modes, which I thought would suck, but in person they don't look too bad. Those two share a lot of engineering and the same transformation sequence, but all of their parts are uniquely molded. Divebomb the bird is absolutely massive, since he separates into two parts: one becomes an arm while the other part becomes Predaking's lower torso and wings. And he has an impressive wingspan. Razorclaw the lion has probably the weakest animal mode; his back half is made up of panels. It makes sense though, since he houses Predaking's head. Rampage the tiger is just kind of there as the other big cat, but kind of an average animal mode.

Their robot modes are mostly average too, nothing too complicated in their transformations. Several of them have really simple heads and faces that, when upsized to a Voyager, look downright generic. At least they have better engineering than the Constructicons, all of them have elbows. They are stand well, except when Tantrum and Headstrong hold their big guns (which are Predaking's feet), they tend to make them top-heavy.

Of course, the individual robots are secondary to the combiner. He is huge, standing at 18" tall, twice the height of the regular combiners. He's just a smidge shorter than Devastator, but makes up for it with the two cannons on his shoulders and his big wings. All of his joints are tight ratchet joints, which is another bonus over Devastator, who tends to have loose elbows so he can't lift his gun. His giant feet (with ankle tilts!) allow him to hold lots of cool poses. Razorclaw and Rampage's gun combine to form a big gun that pegs into Predaking's forearm, but unfortunately he doesn't come with his trademark giant gold sword. He also doesn't have his big knuckle spikes. I'm sure there's a third-party company out there that's already making them. One accessory he does come with is a Matrix and an exclusive Onyx Prime Primemaster that locks behind Razorclaw's lion head. There's also a huge sticker sheet that improves his look even more. Divebomb easily has the most stickers, with two for each wing.

Predaking, like the other Titan class toys, are expensive, but in my mind they're worth it. Especially the combiners like Predaking and Devastator. They may not have the sound and light gimmicks like the citybots, but the many individual figures provide plenty of play value. Hasbro has already teased that the next Titan figure will be Omega Supreme, so look for that review after next Christmas.
KilljoyBob

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Transformers Power of the Primes Optimal Optimus

POTP-Leader-Evolved-Optimal-Optimus.jpg
POTP-Leader-Evolved-Optimal-Optimus.jpg (576.78 KiB) Viewed 1507 times

Every year, Habro holds a fan poll. Last year, it was to pick the next Prime, with no information as to what that would entail. Turns out, it was a poll to determine who would be made into a Leader class toy in PotP. And the winner was Optimus Primal from Beast Wars.

The Leader class gimmick for PotP was an "evolution" from a smaller, Deluxe size toy, to a powered up version by combining with armor. The only other Leader class toys were Optimus Prime and Rodimus Prime, and their black "evil" repaints.

One advantage over the other Leaders is that the larger armor can stand on its own as a seperate figure. There's actually several different configurations that are possible with the two figures. The smaller toy doesn't turn into a gorilla, but a spaceship. The larger gorilla can be posed on it like a surfboard, a reference to Optimus Primal's Transmetal mode. They can combine to the larger robot mode, or even a gorilla mode with cannons on the back. He also has a jet mode that is unconvincing, but accurate to the cartoon. It is missing an armored car mode that the original toy had.

Like the other Leader class toys, Primal comes with a Matrix. His sits in the cockpit, just like in the Beast Wars episode "Optimal Situation." He also comes with two guns that can be pegged on to several spots, or held by either robot. They look a little weird in the armor's hands because the peg hole is on the thumbs. The guns can also be connected to make a larger rifle.

I had skipped the other Legends toys, but Optimus Primal was the one I was most excited for. Unfortunately, he was only in stores for a couple weeks at the beginning of December. He might be hard to find now.
KilljoyBob

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:54 pm

Transformers WFC-Siege Blowpipe

WFCS-Battle-Master-Blowpipe.jpg
WFCS-Battle-Master-Blowpipe.jpg (140.05 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

It feels odd to go from reviewing a Titan class toy and a Leader Class toy, the two largest in the brand, to reviewing a Battle Master toy that's less than two inches tall. But here goes.

Blowpipe is the Targetmaster partner of the Decepticon Triggerhappy (who got a new toy in Titans Return). He has one of those names that sounds weird when translated from the original Cybertronian...you know, like Erector.

This new Blowpipe is a pretty simple toy. He's got a grey torso with light blue limbs all on ball joints, and a light blue gun barrel that can peg onto his shoulders or his arm. He has a dark green face and yellow visor painted on his tiny head, and a little Decepticon logo on his chest. His colors don't quite match Triggerhappy's, the blue is lighter and the grey is darker, but that's actually pretty accurate to the G1 toy.

Blowpipe is essentially engineered the same as fellow Battle Master Firedrive, only in the opposite direction. Firedrive has his pistol grip on his back, and his legs fold up onto his chest, which provides a nice smooth robot mode. Blowpipe, on the other hand, has his pistol grip right in the middle of his chest, and everything folds up across his back. This, again, is accurate to the G1 toy. With these two molding styles, I could see these being used as the basis for remaking all the humanoid Targetmaster partners, just by changing the gun barrels and the colors. Blowpipe is already confirmed to be getting a retool as Aimless in the second wave of Siege.

Blowpipe also comes with a pretty cool fire effect, a bright yellow starburst explosion that can peg onto the end of his gun barrel. It can also be separated into two parts, the longer "burst" that connects to 3mm pegs (like his barrel) and the outer ring that can fit over a 5mm peg (like his grip). It's probably the best of the fire effects, and I've seen several fans stating they wish they could get more of them without having to buy a bunch of Blowpipes.

While fiddling with his toy right now while writing this review, I just realized that underneath his barrel is a 5mm port, which can hold the grip of another Battle Master. That means there's a possibility for Double Targetmaster partners, like those of Quake, that combine to make a bigger gun. Neat!

It seems silly that Hasbro recently made new versions of several Targetmasters, and is now going back and selling their partners separately. But if that's what it takes to get these unique little bots, I hope they stick with it. At least until we get the partners for Targetmasters they released. There's still plenty that haven't seen an update yet.
KilljoyBob

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Transformers WFC-Siege Lionizer

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Battle-Master-Lionizer.jpg
War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Battle-Master-Lionizer.jpg (204.42 KiB) Viewed 1479 times

Lionizer is the third and final Battle Master in wave one of Siege. He's something of an anomaly, in that he's not humanoid, and not a G1 Targetmaster partner, but was originally an Action Master partner. If you don't remember, Action Masters were the the Transformers that didn't transform, but some of the new characters came with partners that could turn into weapons. One such Action Master was Rad, and his partner was Lionizer. Now, strangely, Rad hasn't gotten a new update, but Lionizer has.

Lionizer changes from a black and grey lion with a big gun mounted on his back to a sword for larger toys to hold. I think he actually looks more like a wolf, with his skinny head, but I think his mane is completed with the molded detail on his torso. While Firedrive and Blowpipe make a point of looking accurate to their G1 versions, Lionizer is way off. His G1 toy had a bright orange body with a grey head and limbs, this new toy is has a black torso and limbs and only a grey head and blade. Nobody knows why Hasbro made this change, it's not like either color combo is accurate to a real lion. He has painted red eyes and an itty-bitty Autobot logo on his forehead.

His sword mode has a very chunky hilt with a very short blade. It would probably look best in the hand of a Deluxe figure; any bigger and he's going to look like a dagger. The blade has a gun barrel molded in it, and his head/handgrip is on a swivel joint, so can also be held like a rifle or mounted onto a vehicle.

Like the other Battle Masters, he comes with a fire effect accessory. His is a clear blue "swoosh" thing, meant to simulate the movement of a sword being swung. It's not that great. It can also be mounted on the back of the lion to simulate a pounce.

The weird thing is, who to display Lionizer with? As I said, Rad hasn't received a new toy recently, but maybe this is a hint that he will (other Action Masters, like Krok and Banzai-Tron, have gotten recent updates). Until then, one option is to use Smokescreen from the Cybertron toyline (if you have him) as a stand-in Rad. His designer has said he was intended to be an homage to Rad. But that toy is over 10 years old itself and may be harder to find than an actual Rad toy. For my collection, I put him with my Blaster, since he's already managing a small zoo of cassette animals.
KilljoyBob

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:11 am

Transformers War for Cybertron:
Siege Megatron

WFCS-Voyager-Megatron.jpg
WFCS-Voyager-Megatron.jpg (171.54 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

I finally found a larger Siege toy, the Voyager size Megatron. I had actually seen the Optimus Prime in a store, but passed on him because I don't care for the vehicle mode. But seeing this Megatron, I thought he might be good to finally replace my Japanese Classics one on my shelf.

Robot Mode:
This Megatron is trying really hard to look like the Megatron from the original cartoon. The head sculpt is absolutely amazing, it captures the look of the animation perfectly. Unlike a lot of the Siege toys, he doesn't have a lot of overly molded details, which also helps with the animated look. He does have a lot of silver "battle damage" paint all over him, which I don't really care for, but against his gray and black plastics it doesn't look as bad as on some other toys. For weapons, he has his classic fusion cannon which pegs to his arm, and a big sword (in Japan, the G1 Megatron toy came with a sword). The sword is built around the tank turret, which can be pegged on his back to match his animation model even more. The figure has great articulation, so he looks great in a lot of poses. On mine, the left wrist is loose, so it kind of flops when holding the sword. And one of his feet is loose enough to actually fall off.

Vehicle Mode:
Like most recent Megatrons, this one turns into a tank, specifically a Cybertonian "H tank" (so called because the treads form an H). The silver battle damage paint is even more prevalent on the tank than the robot, because there's more black plastic visible. The turret can rotate, which isn't always the case with tank Transformers. The only negative about the tank is that his feet are visible.

The Siege toyline gimmick of add-ons means that there aren't any gimmicks limiting this toy from focusing on being a good Megatron. He has a few pegs where you can attach the fire blast effects, or attach them to his fusion cannon or tank turret. He's actually a little shorter than the Classics Megatron. But he looks great with my older Classics and Generations Decepticons.
KilljoyBob

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:13 pm

Siege Skytread

WFCS-Deluxe-Skytread.jpg
WFCS-Deluxe-Skytread.jpg (128.44 KiB) Viewed 869 times

Skytread is a new version of the Duocon Flywheels. Like the original, he's a single robot who splits into two vehicles. His top half becomes a jet and his bottom half is a tank. His Duocon partner, Battletrap, was available recently in the Power of the Primes line as two seperate Legends class toys each with their own robot modes. Skytread is sold as a single Deluxe, and only has the one robot mode.

Robot Mode:
His robot mode has a maroon torso with a jet cockpit on his chest, and brown arms and legs. His feet are tank treads and pretty big, just like the original toy, which gives him plenty of stability. His paint job is nice and clean, the Siege battle damage silver paint apps are relegated to the sides of his legs. He carries two maroon guns, one of which is the tank turret. Like all the Siege toys, there are lots of ports for weapons to be plugged in.

Tank Mode:
The tank mode is the simpler of the two, as it's the legs mostly folded up. There is a couple issues with the tank: the panels that cover the back don't want to lock in place completely, and there's a hollow gap on the back. On mine, the waist gets in the way of pushing the turret down completely. Just trying to push it down in the two days I've had him is causing stress marks on the center port; thankfully there are ports on either side of it to plug into.

Jet Mode:
His jet has a slightly more complex transformation because the arms have to be hidden away. The jet resembles an F-4 Phantom, or at least a Cybertonian version of one. There's several ports underneath ro attach weapons, but I prefer to use the one directly under the cockpit. There's no issues with the jet, but not a whole of play value either.

While the two vehicles are pretty small and basic, the gimmick is fairly unique. For me, the main draw of the toy is just to get a version of the character. It's also been found that he and Battletrap share the same size connection ports, so you can mix-and-match between the two. I do kind of wish that Skytread's smaller gun was black or silver, so I could give it to Battletrap for my display. But the maroon guns are G1 accurate. This is definitely a nice update of a character that hasn't had a lot of toys.
KilljoyBob

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Siege Hound

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Deluxe-Hound.jpg
War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Deluxe-Hound.jpg (127.54 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Hound was due for an update. Like Ryokuro said, his Classics version was kind of cheesy; his colors were too bright, his vehicle mode was too "civilian," his face was expressionless, and (on mine at least) the joints were really loose. This new Siege Hound fixes all of those issues.

Robot Mode:
Hound is a squat, dark green robot with copper and black details. He has his trademark stars on his shoulders, as well a copper star and Autobot logo on the top of his chest/hood. He comes with two weapons, a small green "rocket launcher" and a bigger rifle with a detachable ammo drum. As a part of the Siege gimmick, Hound has several ports for weapons to plug in and several harp points to attach fire effects. His silver battle damage paint is on his shins and the bullbar. He has ankle tilt joints, but due to the way his legs and feet are built he can't stand with his legs parallel. They have to be posed in a slight A.

Vehicle Mode:
Hound transforms into a Cybertonian jeep. Like Ryokuro said, he has a unique leg transformation, where the legs unfold and become the back and sides of the jeep. In keeping with the Cybertonian theme, the cabin doesn't include seats or a steering wheel. He keeps most of his ports for weapons, except those on his arms because they're tucked under the vehicle mode. There's a special indent on the back of the jeep for the ammo drum.

I've always like Hound. I like the dichotomy they built into his character, that he was the first Autobot with a distinctly military vehicle mode, but he was a lover of Earth's nature. He's the soldier that longs for a quiet life. This figure is a great update for the character.
KilljoyBob

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Siege Cog

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Deluxe-Cog.jpg
War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Deluxe-Cog.jpg (134.08 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Cog was originally an extra robot that came with the giant Fortress Maximus playset. The new Titans Return Fortress Maximus didn't come with a Cog, but he's now shown up as part of the Siege line. And he's been given a lot more play value, because he's the first of a new kind of bot: the Weaponizer! Weaponizers are robots that can be disassembled into weapons and gear for other toys to use. All Deluxe and larger toys in the Siege line have multiple 5mm holes where the weapons can be attached, making for a lot of different play options.

Robot Mode:
Cog is a blue, silver, and red robot with two sets of large shoulder pylons. His color layout is pretty similar to Fort Max, and he compliments the large robot/playset really well. The red on his shins (which the G1 Cog lacked) are a nice touch, as they reflect Fort Max's leg guns. At first I thought they would be flip-up guns as well, but they're molded to the legs. He's kind of short; even with his tall shoulders he's still a head shorter than most older Deluxes. Despite all the weapons he's made of, he still comes with two black handguns. Ironically, their pegs are slightly tapered, so they don't sit securely in his hands. But they do peg tightly into the holes on his forearms.

Vehicle Mode:
Cog actually splits into two vehicles, a pair of armored "cars." His upper torso becomes a silver car called Gasket and his legs become a blue half track called Grommet. They can also peg together to form a longer vehicle (this was essentially how the G1 version transformed). The transformation is simple, and involves some part-forming (physically removing his arms and pegging them on top of Gasket) but true to the original. I am surprised that Hasbro didn't make him backwards compatible with the little Titans Return Titan Master figures, as the G1 version had a seat for Cerebros's Headmaster partner, Spike. But the vehicle modes aren't the main draw of this toy, it's his Weaponizer gimmick.

Weaponizer Mode:
Cog has a unique modular design that allows him to become gear for the other toys. It makes him the lynchpin of the whole C.O.M.B.A.T. weapons system that Hasbro has designed for Siege. He can split in half, and his arms and legs can be removed. His arms can become two large guns with multiple barrels. His legs can become guns or become lifts to make other bots taller. They can be left connected to his waist, which can peg onto the back of another bot for a set of large over-the-shoulder cannons. His torso can either be used as a double-barreled gun (there are grey guns molded behind the silver pylons), or it can be folded in half and it becomes a shield. And since his limbs also have 5mm holes which you can peg other weapons into, the possibilities really are endless.

When I first got Cog, I was planning on just leaving him displayed with Fortess Maximus. And he does look good there. But he's also a lot of fun to take apart and slap all over other toys. Unfortunately, Fort Max himself doesn't have very many 5mm holes to attach Cog's weapons to, and his Headmaster Cerebros doesn't have any. I'm sure when they were making him, they weren't planning on one day releasing Cog. 

Since the C.O.M.B.A.T. system is so pivotal to Siege, and Cog is so pivotal to the sytem, I'm glad he turned out so well. Even if you don't have a Fortess Maximus, he's a great addition to your collection. There are at least two more Weaponizers planned for the Siege line, and like Cog they're based on drones that came with giant robots/playsets. Sixgun will be in wave 2 and pairs with Metroplex, and Brunt will be in wave 3 and pairs with Trypticon.
KilljoyBob

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Ultra Magnus
War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Leader-Ultra-Magnus.jpg
War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Leader-Ultra-Magnus.jpg (437.47 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Ultra Magnus has gotten several toys in recent years. I've actually skipped all of them since the original Classics Ultra Magnus, since I had the third-party FansProject City Commander armor for him. Siege Magnus is actually the first one since the G1 toy to include both a white cab truck and a separate trailer that becomes armor.

Robot Mode:
Ultra Magnus features a white and blue inner robot, with red and blue armor pieces that snap onto his legs, arms, shoulders, and torso. The inner robot has a clear blue window and grill on his chest, but doesn't look anything like the traditional Optimus chest. He has a reversable "belt," one side for the inner robot and one for the up-armored robot. The armor actually seems to take some cues from the City Commander armor, although it doesn't include a giant gun. For some reason, the armor boots are molded with the feet at an angle, so that the toy has to stand with a wide-legged stance. He also has a waist swivel, even with his armor, which I've heard is a first for him. He comes with a big silver rifle, two smaller black rifles, and Magus' traditional missile launchers that peg onto his shoulder pylons.

Vehicle Mode:
Ultra Magnus transforms into a Cybertonian truck with a trailer. The cab is actually very similar to the Ultra Magnus from the Robots in Disguise (2001) cartoon, rather than the G1 Freightliner semi truck. The cab isn't a very convincing truck, even with the excuse of being Cybertonian; the arms quite obviously stick out the back. The armor's boots unfold in a unique way to become the sides of the trailer, while the torso armor becomes the top of it. While the trailer looks like a car carrier, it's not really possible to put any cars inside it and there isn't a real floor to it.

Siege Ultra Magnus is a Leader class toy. While he's shorter than some Leaders from recent years, he makes up for it by not having as many hollow parts. Hasbro is also planning on heavily remolding it into Cybertron/Galaxy Force Optimus Prime (it will be called Galaxy Upgrade Optimus Prime).